Sunday, November 09, 2008

Nerd....but a Fly Nerd.

...so what turned you on to Douglass???
I need it for a class I'm in.
So that's the only reason you're reading it, is for a class???
Yeah...why else???
To FEED YOUR BRAIN, fool.
-conversation between Ice Cube and Omar Epps, in Higher Learning.

The title of this post was taken from a friend of mine, who describes herself (well, one way she does) as a nerd, but a "fly nerd." Ever since I was able, I LOVE to read. It provides a much-needed balance to the part of me that's the typical caveman: basketball, football, women, kickin it with my boys...you know, that type of shit. The reading part just brings another dimension that's priceless, in my opinion. To this day, I've NEVER, NEVER, EVER understood why people don't read, don't like to read, think it's a waste of time to read, etc. I'll never get it, EVER. *woosah...WOOOOSAHHHH*

I've always been more into autobiographies, books with historical significance, and ones whose primary focus is internal growth. Rarely do I read fiction, unless there's a loyalty to the author (Solomon Jones, Cheryl Robinson, Donald Goines, Eric Jerome Dickey), or if I'm looking to watch a movie adaptation (which is why I've been reading Grisham lately). I get damn near as much joy from reading a good book as I do from any football game, basketball game, sex, movie, working out, conversation...you name it.

Anyway, here's a list of some of the most memorable books I've had the pleasure of coming across. Why I'm doing this now, I have no clue. Maybe it's because it's after 2 AM, and I can't take my ass back to sleep. Just feels like the right thing to do. Be easy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My man,

We have the exact same feelings about books and which ones to read. EXACTLY so I was straight trippin. You gave me some new stuff to keep in mind. So far on your list I've read X, 40 Mil (What a history huh? The boxing deal alone was worth it but i was amazed at how much I didn't know about sports - read Rhoden's 4th and a Mile about the black quarterback) Mercy, Black Women (love me some MED anyway)

I got a list of some of my favorites as a link on my personal book club - at your recommendation I picked up Miracle a short while ago and that will be my next read.

Look forward to talkin books wit ya!

Amber "Bam" Cabral said...

Awesome list.

I can't say I have read any of them. That's not to say I don't read great books. I am just drawn to a different variety in the same line of thought (getusfree):

Black Wealth, White Wealth: A New Perspective on Racial Inequality

Two Nations : Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Freakonomics A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your Ameican History Textbook Got Wrong

I could go on.

But I will add a few of yours to my Amazon list.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

u aint no nerd jones

Muze said...

i feel the same way as you about reading.

great, great list. i've only read the malcolm x one and the assata one though. i shall be adding these to the list though. awesomeness.

i think reading provides invaluable information and great brain power that i otherwise wouldn't have.

i call myself the a flyy dork. so she must be coolness. lol.

hope all is fabulous.

oh, LOVE Higher Learning btw.

LadiJai said...

Great book list... I need to add some of these to my personal library.

Eb the Celeb said...

OK... so I have some catching up to do... the only one I have read is Why I love black women by Michael Eric Dyson

Ed The Sports Fan said...

this is the reason i fucks with you fam. can i add to your reading selection with a couple of my personal gems...

- Cane Mutiny: How the Miami Hurricanes Overturned the Football Establishment by Bruce Feldman

- I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max

- Juiced by Jose Canseco

- Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal that Rocked Professional Sports by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams

- The Audacity of Hope by B-Rock...I mean Barack Obama

- Boys Will Be Boys: The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty by Jeff Pearlman

Just a couple of classics, I keep em coming. YA DIGGGG...

OU 100, Tech 99...

-Ed.

Me said...

wow. some of these books ive heard of and ive been wanting to read, so needless to say, im super happy you wrote this post. sooo gonan snag a few of these...if not all of them.

Brothers Blog said...

man I wish I was or could become a big book reader. I dont know why but I always had my attention diverted too easily when it came to reading books. I love the higher learning quote and your book list looks great. I just dont know if I will ever get to that list. Just being real.

Pegs said...

OK I didn't read the post, but I had to laugh when I saw your title "Nerd...but a Fly Nerd." My family still calls me a nerd, my best friend says I'm a cool nerd...everyone calls me a nerd and I love it!

I'm gonna follow your blog:)

Take care, Alya