Wednesday, July 20, 2011

TOTU: Chapter One

In the past, I wrote a series of poems which eventually came together to tell a variety of stories. They were all personal in nature, all involved a woman, and all made me feel some kinda way. They were always centered around love, which as a man, can be a challenge to express publicly, while also maintaining a sense of dignity. This is when growing up with sisters is so valuable; they've shown me how to have a sensitive side without being a sissy, even if they don't realize it.

Well, since I have so much time on my hands, I'm going to try that again, except this time, they won't be poems and they won't be centered around love. They'll be more like snippets in my life at the moment, and once this particular part of my life concludes, so will the story. My goal is to write something at least once a week. Here goes, with chapter one.


5:46 A.M.

The morning started off abnormally early, despite the fact that I got the same amount of sleep as I do just about every night (roughly 4-5 hours.) I long ago decided that I stay up late because (a) my mind loves to work, (b) I always feel like I'll miss something by sleeping, and (c) for the most part, everyone else is sleep and for whatever reason, I just feel more accomplished by staying busy when everyone else is down for the count.

Once I woke up, the day went as most others do. I did some editing for the ETSF website, listened to The Morning Jones, and applied for jobs. Yes, the all-consuming task of applying for jobs. It's always an adventure to look at qualifications, my resume, the job requirements, my resume, and the location, and my resume again.

One of these days, my pride may get the best of me. Attempting to break into a field with not much experience is infinitely tougher than going into a field where I do have experience. However, I'd rather take the difficult route this time, and besides, if I was to go back and work in my previous field, I wouldn't make it through the week. I'll explain why in another entry.

Anyway, I did all that, and now it's past 9. It doesn't even feel like morning, but when you wake up so early for no apparent reason, that's the result. Who knows how the rest of the day will go; possibly a trip to 24 Hour Fitness, so I can workout and also chop it up with the old-school player who's been adopted as another unofficial mentor (he has no say-so in the matter; the man is 55 years old and likes to tell stories; I'm sure he won't mind.) Besides that, it's another day in paradise.

Be easy.

P.S. I'll share what TOTU means later.