Wednesday, July 27, 2011

TOTU: Chapter Two

A life decision was made over the weekend. It was one that everyone has had to face in their time on Earth. It was one where the decision you make alters how the following time will come:

Do I have enough gas money to get there and back?

Oh, yes. This happened, and it was not a game. Now the easy thing to say is "Well, just get in the car with someone and chip in on gas," but I've long given up on riding in the car with people. I'm a team player when it comes to a lot of things, but in the words of a great philosopher "I live alone, I train alone, I win the world title alone." Okay, the great philosopher was Clubber Lang in Rocky III, but the point is I'd rather travel alone.

The event in question was the wedding of one of my closest friends, which was three hours away in Austin last Saturday. I was set to go, and even when I got a call late Friday afternoon to come out for a job interview three days later, I was still crunk...

...only the interview was out of town, as was the wedding, and not only were they both out of town, they were on totally opposite ends of the highway.

Now I had less than 24 hours to decide how I was going to pull off doing both. Time was ticking, I was running out of ideas, and I decided to make a decision that I immediately regretted. I missed the wedding, stayed home, watched movies all night, then drove downtown and kicked it for a homie's birthday. Oh, and the job interview, of course. I went to that.

Oh, and there was jury duty a couple of days ago. It was my first time being summoned by my great city to perform my service to the community, and when I got there, I saw at least 200 people sitting there as well. Some were on their phones. Others were reading magazines, and just about everyone kept looking at their watches. Court started late, and for people who were already agged about being there, it was especially painful.

I get there at 8:20, and I'm relieved at 9:20. That's right, one hour of duty. There were a limited amount of cases on the docket, but the court still made sure to select as many potential jurors as possible. Since I wasn't one of them, I, along with about 120 more people, were free to go.

We were paid a grand total of six dollars for our day at the courthouse, which I donated to a youth and family counseling organization. Shoot, once they said the checks (a six dollar check) would be mailed within a week, the decision to give it away pretty much made itself.

7/27/11 @ 12:44 P.M.

No comments: