Thursday, August 25, 2011

TOTU: Chapter Six

Last Thursday, my grandmother went on to be with God and her husband, my grandfather, in heaven. The cause was cancer. She went just like she asked ahead of time: with her kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids all around. She was 83 years old and full of life.

I didn't cry at all, because she was someone who knew where she was going and made sure to make me, and others, feel as okay as possible about what was going on with her. Instead, I celebrated her life and played the role of consoling family members who did grieve.

The funeral was last Sunday and it was a great service all-around. The family sang songs, told stories, and sent her home the best way possible. It was dope and it was great seeing some people I literally hadn't seen in years.

A friend of mine had a pool party the same day, which I promised I would attend weeks before. Luckily, the funeral home was literally right down the road from the party, so I showed up, dress clothes on and all. I hung around for close to an hour, and when she and others asked why I was dressed up, I simply told them I was coming back from a service, but not what type of service. They didn't need to know all that. Besides, in the words of a great man, "When Sinatra says he'll show, he'll show."

I did take another L recently, and this one came (somewhat) outta nowhere. Granted, we've been friends for a long time, and I think after the initial feeling wears off, everything will be cool. It serves as another example of no matter how good things can get, things have to progress, and at a pace for both parties, or things have to change.

On the bright side (yes, there is a bright side), after 750+ days of being unemployed, I start a new job on Monday at a college in Siberia---I mean, well, the people who need to know do know where it is. For everyone else, I'll stick with Siberia.

It's been so long since I've had a job that the first day or two are gonna be a serious adjustment. I'm used to staying up late and watching Sportscenter, movies, reading, writing, and shootin' the shit. Fortunately, that will change, and I'll start sleeping like a human being again.

I'm looking forward to working with students, faculty, and being a part of a community. It's something I've held out for, career-wise, and it's finally here. God knows what he's doing all the time, doesn't He?

Oh yeah, TOTU stands for Tales of the Unemployed. I'll see about coming up with a new title starting next week.

8/25/11 @ 2:21 P.M.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This makes me smile with my heart Kenny. Congrats on your job, even though it is, in Siberia. *Scrunchy face*